Why Table Saws are an Essential Tool for Woodworkers.
We all know that a saw is an essential component of every woodworker or DIY-er’s toolbox. But if you want to take your woodworking projects to a whole other level, you simply can’t go without a table saw.
If you’re not so familiar with table saws and how they work, you’re just in the right place. In this article, we’ll provide all the necessary information so you can get started with table saws and improve your craftsmanship.
Let’s take a look!
What is a Table Saw?
A table saw is actually a circular saw mounted to a table, with only a part of the blade exposed above the table in order to cut wood. And unlike a standard saw, on a table saw you move the material towards the blade, allowing you to make much more precise cuts. If you wanted to do miters, you need a miter saw which you can check out in our article HERE.
Table saws come in many different shapes and sizes, but we’ll get to that later. For now, let’s see how a table saw can change the way you work.
Even though it is very simple in nature, if you use it properly you can expect robot-like accuracy on a variety of different cuts. Consider it the exact opposite of freehand cutting, in every possible way.
For many woodworkers, a table saw is probably the best machine to invest first, considering you can perform a number of different tasks with it. You can use a Dewalt table saw for ripping, cross-cutting, sheet material preparation, making crown moldings, and much more, all in a fraction of the time you’d spend with a regular saw.
And not only is it faster, it’s much more accurate as well. This will allow you to better plan your projects and easily fit the pieces in the end. One of the best table saws around and at an awesome price is the Dwalt 10 inch table saw – click on this link to have a look at it –DEWALT DW745 10-Inch Table Saw, 20-Inch Rip Capacity
Now, let’s take a look at the main table saw components that make all of this possible.
Main Table Saw Parts
While there are different types of table saws, there are still some standard parts in all of them, such as:
- Table – this is the first and most obvious part, and also the place where most of the other features and functions are located. Most commonly, the table is made out of metal and acts as a support for the piece you need to cut. It usually is marked with measurement units and has a few slots for the other components. Some table saws come with table extenders that allow you to work with bigger pieces of wood.
- Saw – another pretty obvious part, the saw is actually a circular saw mounted on an arbor below the table. They usually come in 10-inch blades, but they can be moved up or down to make different cuts depending on your needs.
- Rip Fence – the rip fence is the part that differentiates table saws from other types of saws. It’s used to guide the piece when you’re making rip cuts. The rip fence runs parallel to the blade and can be adjusted based on the piece you’re working on. Without it, it’s very difficult to ensure if you’re keeping a straight line while cutting.
- Miter Gauge – just like the rip fence, the miter gauge rests against the workpiece as it gets cut by the blade. The only difference is the angle – instead of a straight line, you can adjust the miter at your desired angle, anywhere from 0 to 90 degrees.
- Bevel Gauge – located just below the table, you can use the bevel gauge to set the blade angle in order to make bevel cuts. It has a handle for adjusting the gauge so you can always see what angle you are using.
- Blade Cover – providing protection for both the blade and the user. It fits directly over the blade and is most often transparent so you can always keep an eye out on the blade.
- Anti-kickback – usually mounted on the rear side of the blade cover, the anti-kickback claws protect you from an accident by stopping the workpiece from flying back towards you.
Types of Table Saws
Now that you’re familiar with table saws, it’s time to look at the different types so you can decide which one’s the best table saw for your needs. Bosch do a great table saw, click HERE to check it out on Amazon.
Portable Table Saw
Portable table saws are usually mounted onto a stand with transport wheels, allowing for easy transportation. The most popular table saw on Amazon, the Dewalt table saw with more than 1500 positive reviews, is actually a portable table saw.Check Price Here
Portable table saws can be further divided into:
- Bench top: designed to be as compact as possible. They are best suited for users who only need light-duty work done in their workshop. One of the best options for a benchtop is the Ryobi table saw.
- Compact: compact table saws, like the Ridgid table saw, are a step up from bench top saws mainly because they often have additional features and functions, like larger rip capacity and better component materials.
- Jobsite: jobsite saws are much more robust machines and the preferred type for many contractors. One of the best options is the Craftsman table saw with large extension wings suitable for bigger projects.
Stationary Table Saw
Stationary table saws are much larger and more powerful than a portable table saw. They are mostly used by professionals for heavy-duty work and are usually unmovable. And even though they have amazing features, the average woodworker or DIYer would be much better off with a portable option.
Safety Tips for Table Saws
Before we finish off, there are some important safety tips you need to follow when using a table saw to ensure you avoid any accidents.
- Don’t start the saw while the workpiece is touching the blade
- Always use the rip fence for rip cuts, don’t do it by hand
- Always use the miter gauge for making crosscuts.
- Keep the workpiece flat against the table at all times
- Turn the table saw off when you’re not using it, and unplug it for adjustments and maintenance
We hope that this article helped you see that table saws truly are an indispensable tool for any woodworker, and any project would be much more enjoyable with them. And if you’re looking for high-quality options, it’s hard to look past a Dewalt table saw, Ryobi table saw, or a Ridgid table saw.
Click on this link to check out this great table saw on Amazon;DEWALT DWE7485 8-1/4 in. Compact Jobsite Table Saw